8.14.2012

My Cooking Project: August - New Mexico

Hello Lovelies, 

So as you all are aware of, My new monthly cooking project is to tackle different ethnic and foreign cuisines.  
Last month I did Turkey, and this month I am trying out one of my favorites...New Mexican!

Since it is now Hatch Chilli Season, and I have a ridiculous inability to avoid them at the grocery store, I ended up buying 3 pounds of them. So starting today I am working on trying new recipes, first up is my Fire Roasted Hatch Chile and Chicken Enchiladas.

The recipe: 



Fire Roasted Hatch Chile and Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:

4-6 Hatch Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
3-4 Cooked chicken Breasts
1, 10 oz can green Chile enchilada sauce (I use the La Victoria)
¼ C chicken stock 
2 Medium Tomatillos (Shucked, and Diced)
12 corn tortillas
1/3 C canola oil

Directions:  
To fire roast the Hatch green chiles, place whole chiles onto the grill and blister each one black.   Remove from grill and place into a brown paper sack to steam, rolling the top down to seal the bag.  Once cooled, remove from the bag and peel the skin off.   Cut the top off and remove the seeds and chop.   Set aside!

In a large bowl combine the fire roasted hatch chiles, the green chile enchilada sauce, the tomatillos, chicken stock, cremea. Mix well I use a blender to get a fine consistency.  Then separate the sauce and leave out about 1 ½ cups  

Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl and the larger amount of the sauce and mix well.
In another bowl mix both cheeses or add any others you may like.

In a fry pan, heat oil over medium high heat and fry each tortilla, both sides, for about 30 seconds each.   Drain well on paper towels. 

To assemble:
Add 2 T of the sauce that was set aside to the bottom of a casserole pan.  

Add chicken mixture to lower side of each tortilla, add some of the cheese mixture, (leaving some for the top) roll up and place into pan.   Once all tortillas are rolled, layer with the remainder of the reserved sauce, top with the remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until cooked through.   Serve and enjoy!!


------------------

I will post pictures later of how it turns out!

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment